Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Poem a Day: 2

2.

Winter Noose

What is it with the weather? Will it ever warm
or will we be stuck in another ice age, freezing
off our fingers and toes, shoveling buckets of snow
from cracked driveways and walks, digging our hands
deep into feathered pockets, winding wool scarves
around our delicate necks in soft nooses?

I’m pretty sure that this winter has braided a noose
around my emotional neck, squeezing the warm
blood left in my body out of my brain. Black scarves
fall over my eyes in veils and I can’t breathe, freezing
into a block of bitter confusion, my white hands
drained, hollow and abandoned as the old snow

in the backyard.  And just when I think the snow will
finally stop falling, another ugly coat descends, noosing
around tree roots, coating the maple’s arthritic hands.
Huddled in my office, or kitchen, I try to warm myself
against a cup of sludgy coffee, aging face freezing
against the utter lack of possibility.  I knit scarf after

scarf, flashing the needles like matches against scarves
of Arctic air on the windows.  And I don’t care if the snow,
as you suggest, is beautiful, each flake individual – I freeze
inside thinking of its cold attack, its midnight descent, nooses
of celestial despair gathering on the lawn. How can I warm
my middle-aged heart when the weather keeps handing

me scraps of the underworld, bits of death in fairy hands
tapping the innocent glass, asking to be let in?  No scarf
can protect me against this hellish breath. Smelling it, warmth
proves illusion, like Florida -- lost to the south, to snowy highways
still slicked with icy despair.  So I knit my elaborate nooses
and hang myself daily. I suspect my spirit has frozen, and

I worry we’re entering a new ice age. That we’re each freezing
slowly but surely into an individual mold, holding numb hands
locked in zippered pockets. We can’t touch, noosed off as we are
from love and connection in coats and hats and gloves and scarves.
Surely we will lose our souls and minds --dive into the next snow
as if into a glacial ocean, seeking, deep down, below all, a warmer life.


April 2, 2014

No comments: