Friday, April 5, 2013

30 Poems in 30 Days: 5


Fruit Medley

Frozen raspberries are kind of nice in Greek yogurt
but sometimes they make my teeth buzz and their seeds
get stuck in my molars, like niggling reminders somewhere

in the haze of the mind’s outback that tell me 
I’ve forgotten something really important.  A very juicy 
orange is a treat, especially if it’s cold, and when I cut 

into its skin I recall Mom, who taught me how to slice
off the ends and score the skin like this, then peel them,
and then I think of Elmer Street, and elementary school, 

trudging home from kindergarten with a note pinned 
to my chest, avoiding the big boys who pinched and giggled, 
and then lazy summer afternoons spent throwing

rocks at passing cars, and lighting sticks on fire
behind Michelle’s house.  Kiwis are hairy handful, prickly
as a man’s balls, and their black seeds itch the roof of my mouth.

Strawberries, if they’re ripe and sweet, explode 
into shivery delight, saying more more more, and call for
no sugar.  But the overgrown pale ones, dusted

with pesticide dirt, taste woody, and always
one or two at the bottom of the box turn out to be
rotted with mold, suggesting that everything 

will eventually touch something corrupt and then
dissolve from within.  An apple a day is supposed to keep 
the doctor away but I would rather see my GP than 

bite into a mushy Red Delicious, whose skin tastes like 
poison and whose mealy flesh sucks the moisture from my mouth.
Paugh!  Eve, and worms, and mortality.   

Blueberries look like little sacks of blue blackness,
tiny buttons of moonless night, and bleed into our favorite shirts.   
I tend to forget about bananas.  They travel 

with spiders, don’t they?  Cherries are magnificent
and expensive and only good for three weeks of the year.
When I bite into a firm one, I remember

when sex was something I looked forward to,
shivering with anticipation.  As a child, I only ate
green grapes, but now that I’m losing my keen sight and

the world's sounds are starting to fade out, and
I have to take a pill in order to feel an artificial happiness,
I like the red ones -- seedless of course --

I celebrate their crisp juicy snap, their
cold water running down my throat, and I love them best
when they've been sacrificed into wine.

No comments: